Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mesa Verde

A few weeks ago, I took a solo road trip down to Mesa Verde and Durango. I had not been to Mesa Verde and had been wanting to go for many years. It was an incredible experience. Ancient architecture has always been a passion of mine and to see it in person still amazes me.
After a six hour drive, I arrived in Cortez, CO on Thursday evening. I had dinner and relaxed the rest of the night. I got up early Friday morning (because of course I couldn't sleep in) and headed into Mesa Verde Park. I spent a majority of the day there touring around and purchasing gifts for the family. Then, again, I spent a relaxing evening at the hotel. Saturday, I drove up to Durango where I stayed with friends, Mike and Wendy. I got a tour of Durango and the surrounding area and then went back to the house for a BBQ. I returned home Sunday afternoon (mother's day) to a beautifully cleaned house and was treated to dinner. I wish I could say my battery was recharged after the trip, but I've been going so hard before and since that I don't feel much different. But I am still very glad to have gotten away and I was very happy to return.



Cliff Palace
One of the largest cliff dwellings in the world.


An open Kiva
A place used for religious purposes.


A Kiva still intact.



Ancient artwork




No comments: