Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Oh, Baby!


I realized that I haven't made an update on Erica in a while, so this blog is about her. At her two month checkup, which was about three weeks ago, she weighed in at 10lbs. 7 oz and was almost 23 inches long. I'm sure by now she is well over 11lbs. She is about average for growth, but compared to how small Jade was, she seems so chunky! She's got rolls everywhere! She had her shots, which is always difficult, but I think she cried less than a minute. I'm sure it was harder on me than her anyway. Her neck is a bit tight on the right side, a condition called torticollis, but it is very mild. We stretch her neck every day and at this point she does not need physical therapy. Erica is becoming more aware of things around her and loves to watch and interact with her sister. She smiles a lot and it's directly related to things we do with her now. She is also starting to grip objects and likes to pull her blanket over her head. She is still a very happy baby and if she would just sleep, she would be perfect! We thought we had figured it out by swaddling her tightly at bedtime. For a while she was doing great, only getting up once or twice to eat. Lately, in addition to those feedings, she has been very restless again and needs to be rocked back to sleep. Sometimes every hour! It is very exhausting and it makes it very hard to function during the day. Thankfully, on days off I can take an afternoon nap with the girls. The house is a total disaster (not that it was that clean before), but if I don't rest, I pay for it later. Erica is completely on formula now. Around six weeks, she started needing more than I could produce, so we started mixing formula with the breast milk and eventually phased it out. She has been on the Enfamil Gentlease (for her gas) for the last few weeks. It's a little disappointing and some aspects of bottle feeding are less convenient, especially the night time feedings. As a whole, though, things are getting easier. And they are getting easier more quickly than they were when Jade was this age. We do consider ourselves very lucky to have two wonderful girls!

1 comment:

The Alesch's said...

I know how you feel! I'm exhausted, sleeping at night is very inconsistant at our house. Some nights are good, some aren't so good. I guess that's part of parenthood.